ON AIR!

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Stoobie's patented 5am rant.

I suppose it's at these times when your sleep patterns are out of sync with the rest of your timezone, your house mates are asleep with their girlfriends (I am assuming they're asleep here, I mean it is 5am after all), that you sit back and think to yourself. Need I remind you that pondering to yourself in these situations is always the wrong thing to do because it always serves as the harsh backhand of reality. Also, never watch Scrubs whilst thinking. John Dorian's internal monologues only encourage your own to develop, hence my sudden need to blog.

Thinking to myself the issue of being single comes to mind, but I won't go on about that because everyone's heard that story a thousand times. The issue of friends being so thinly spread once you're living in a borough of London and they're either working, back in their homes of origin or just busy. The social life becomes harder to arrange when your hours at work can vary between 4pm starts all the way through to 3am finishes and anything in between. Last week for example I was particularly lucky. My mate Phil, the final house mate to move in was around for a week, settling in and sorting his room and seeing how I only worked 3 days that week, I got to spend a lot of my time hanging out. Heck, I even went to the cinema... twice! Die Hard 4 was pretty damn awesome and considering I loathe Harry Potter with an absolute passion, my friends managed to drag me along to see the Order of the Pheonix. It was better than my pessimism predicted, but it was still pretty dire.

Speaking of the git-wizard, his new book came out tonight. Chris and Aoife scuttled to Waterstone's midnight opening like lambs to the slaughter in order to get their hands on J.K. Rowlings latest piece of *cough* literacy *cough*. Seriously, why not at least pre-order the book and get it in the post first thing in the morning rather than give me further reason to doubt their sanity? At least I can take comfort in the fact some like-minded hackers, thieves and contract breakers have already spread the word of who dies. It will make for excellent leverage in turning the conversation off Harry Potter and onto more serious matters like... heck... the best way to open a can of shook-up coke without getting it all over you. To all the people who I have wound up and angered over the adolescent boy who enjoys playing with his wand far too much I must take a moment to apologise. Whilst I see you look forward to, though don't understand why, the fact remains I hate the whole franchise and it brings me great pleasure to poke fun at it and unfortunately some of my friends don't see eye-to-eye on the matter. Sparks will fly when the issue is raised. Live by the sword, die by the cynic.

In more positive news I have been making lots of progress with the Smoke Radio website thanks to my recent bout of insomniac-behavior. The website now has a Newsletter that can be signed up to on the site as well as the website now having the ability to finally show off them shiny YouTube videos we've had to link to for so long. Joomla sure is a handy tool, but can be a bit infuriating when you haven't got the plugins to do the job you want. A job that can usually be solved with a flurry of HTML. I am considering putting Joomla on my stoobie-land.co.uk website so I can teach myself to build a site from scratch on it.

I also received the cheque for my Uni Halls of Residence deposit-return this morning. £247 back from the initial £250 meaning I only had £3 taken from it, which is pretty sweet all things considering. I have heard of worse flats than mine receiving as much back. I hope the Chinese students are fined for waking everyone up at ungodly hours of the morning. How I love living in a house.

Sorry about the rant, blame Scrubs, then watch it. It is awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home