ON AIR!

Monday, June 04, 2007

Punting on the Camb.

One thing anyone should do, should they happen to visit Cambridge on a sunny summer's day, is to punt on the Camb. The Camb of course, being the river that gives Cambridge it's name, and runs through the city and its historical, University centre. You can also take a punt down south from the city centre out into Granchester, a pleasant village on the edge of the city, more or less, except for the fact that Jeffry Archer lives there.

Wikipedia has a very nice article with sections that focus entirely on Punting in Cambridge which you can find here.

It is indeed fair to say that the majority of peopele you will see punting on Camb are younger people including students, and tourists. But wether you are watching, or are infact one of these, you can always guarantee inexperience is the key to hilarity.

I happened to go on such an excursion today and as you might be able to tell by my style of typing, it is this whistful nostalgia that has made my style of writing, that little more reputable. I am so horribly middle classed, and its especially noticable on home soil. But, I did go with that equally less reputable chap, my best friend Rob. Myself, him and our friends Craig, Aron and Rob's girlfriend Charlotte and her friend Claire hit the waters on something of a whim. I was nominated for propelling the thing. Despite some initial clumbsiness, bouncing from bank-to-bank, I managed to even out my course in the end, sticking to the middle of the water. Aron and Craig tried to rock me into the water, but I have a good sense of balance. However, I did manage to propel myself into a bush of brambles and thorns, and scarcely missed going into a bank-full of nettles. Oh yes, and then there was the rowing boat we kept either crashing into or having to move around at the last minute.

All in all, a good day out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home