ON AIR!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Reflecting on the past... well, however long it was anyway.

Well it comes to another half-past two in the morning, time for me to sit back and write a nice little blog entry. Alot has happened in the past week and a bit. I think the balls started rolling in my life again on Wednesday afternoon, having handed out C.V's to various bars in Harrow. I got a phone call from O'Neills, one of a chain of Irish themed bars, situated in Harrow town centre, requesting they see me for an interview at midday the next day. The next day I went along and met Rach, my would-be boss for an interview which lasted a mere ten minutes. When we were finished she said she had a couple of other interviews to do that afternoon, and would be in touch in the evening.

Three quarters of an hour later and I had the job. Did the other people not turn up to their interviews? Were they unsuitable for bar work? Were they the social rejects of society? Who knows. Suffice to say, something happened that meant I was good enough for them. Isn't it amazing how quickly the tables change. But a few moments before I was unemployed and desperate. Now I am employed and, well, not desperate. I am feeling rather good about the whole thing. I worked on Thursday evening at 7pm until just gone midnight, learning the ropes of how to pour pints and how to use the till. Suffice to say, I am learning at a pretty decent pace. As for pouring pints, well, I think having been going in the local back in Stapleford since I was 8 means I have picked up a thing or two just through observation, as I am learning quickly. Of course I have made a couple of mistakes. My most blatant one as of late being arsing up doing the shamrocks, that is to say, drawing a clover in the head of a pint of Guinnness. I think I will be giving that little trick a miss in the future. I totally fail at that. Aoife suggests I use a cocktail stick or umbrella, rather than do it the fanciful way.

I worked again on Friday from 8pm until about 3am, only collecting glasses mind you as O'Neills gets pretty busy on Fridays and Saturdays. It then closes at 2am and it takes us about an hour to clean up and close up after that. Suffice to say I was knackered, but won't be doing bar work on one of these evenings until my co-workers feel I am confident enough to work the till with the drunken hordes massing at the bar, hungry for their alcohol. For the time being I am on floor duty, which is collecting glasses and cleaning spills as well as dealing with broken glass. Which doesn't help when drunken twats insist on being total sodding cunts and dancing all over the glass when everyone else has moved aside, generally making life more difficult for everyone, just because they can. *seethe* See, I know how bar staff feel already, I am beginning to empathise.

I then worked on Sunday for four hours, but it was pretty dead and doesn't give much to report on.

OH Yes! On Friday I got to see Miss Appleeton! That's Charlotte to you lot. She recently moved into her new flat, which just so happens to be Ross Tilley's, the former head of News and Web on Smoke Radio. I don't know what happened to his previous housemates, but I can only assume they were third years who moved on, up and out. But, lets hope Ross finds the time to include her in one of his Vlog entries in the not-too-distant future. She seems to be doing well for herself with a new male Welsh friend, and is liking her room. Hopefully I will see more of her soon. Hopefully I can have her and myself drop in on Danielle too. Then when Phil arrives, the madness will ensue!

I think that just about wraps up the past week. I am working again Thursday, Friday and Saturday, so maybe you can look forward to a nice exhausted post come Sunday, unless I am totally knackered and in some kind of deep coma and/or sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home