ON AIR!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

London Zoo & Uni Assignments

So Sunday was pretty cool, was up bright and early (OK, so about 11am) to hop on the tube down to Camden Town where we would then walk the rest of the way to Regents Park, home to the Zoological Society of London, or to put it simply, London Zoo.

London Zoo was the world's first scientific zoo. It was opened in 1828, and was originally intended to be used as a collection for scientific study but was eventually made open to the public in 1847. Today it houses a collection of more than 651 different species of animals. I got to see a lot of these species, however the Apes weren't about to be seen as they have a new enclosure being built, due in 2007. I may have to take some chums back next year to see it for myself. It was about £11 entry for students, but about £14 for full adult entry.

It was a good laugh, but it has to be said it's an experience I wish I'd had when I was younger, as something about being older seems to make it less fascinating, less genuinely amazing. I wished I was some of the kids again, seeing their first Giraffes up close and personal. But not those irritating little wankers whose parents have turned them into spoilt brats. Or those babies who always cry in public. I'm suprised the Lions didn't maul them to death. But I wasn't there to watch the kids, I was there for the animals. I was glad I had a camera though, it's definately interesting taking pictures of animals, getting them in amusing poses. I will put them up here once Digi Village, out Uni ISP stops screwing up Photobucket.

I also have my first Uni Assignment to do now, and second including the one I got today. One Radio and one TV assignment, both of which are pretty much the same. Make a suggestion for a program blah blah blah. The Radio one I have put some thaught into, the Television one... well... MTV will show just about any old rubbish these days. The Radio assignment is a show for the 15 minute feature segment of the Radio 4 weekly schedule. Mine is about a Mrs. Elias who has recently been in the news concerning the government failing to pay her compensation after she spent 4 years in a PoW camp in Hong Kong, during the Japanese occupation in 1941. The British Goverment claimed she didn't have a 'blood link' to the UK. Stupid really, considering the Japanese arrested her in the first place for being a British Citizen.

If you ask me, the government is getting a little too tetchy about racial identification. It's worrying.

Speaking of current affairs, I recieved my tickets for the recording of 'The Late Edition' today. For those of you unfamiliar with 'The Late Edition', it's like the news, only funny. It's hosted by Marcus Brigstocke, also starring Steve Furst plus special guests and is produced by Dead Ringers' creator, Bill Dare. It is quite amusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home